Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Sassy

There is no question that Daughter of Purpose is improving in her English by leaps and bounds. While we were still in-country I knew that I had a sassy one on my hands, but it has become clearer and clearer as her English has improved that even though I didn't know a ton of Russian--I was right. Here are few of her quotes lately that prove I've still got my work cut out for me.

When I asked her to pick up something off the floor the other day to assist in clean up, she replied, "No, that you job." Oh yes, she was indeed corrected on that one and had to clean up more than she bargained for.

When Daughter of Purpose asked me a question, but one of her siblings jumped in to answer, she quickly quipped back to him, "I not talka you." I was thinking in my head, "Well, excuse him!"

As Nate and I drove back from Shriners with Daughter of Purpose, while she and her Daddy were having a conversation, she responded, "Talk to the hand, Daddy." She even did the hand motion. Nate looked at me and said, "Did she just say, 'Talk to the hand'?" He wanted to know where she'd learned that. I had a hard time keeping myself from laughing because I certainly didn't want to encourage her attitude, but I couldn't help it when I had to confess she learned it from me! During VBS week, each night she would confirm with me that we were going to church again the next morning. She would often tear up so Mini-Me and I would joke with her and say, "Talk to the hand." in order to get her to laugh. It was a comical moment, but I never thought she'd turn around and use it with attitude! Well, at least I can applaud her for figuring out how to use it contextually correct!

So as you can tell, I've got my hands full in more ways than one. Now that I know what she's saying, I'm chipping away at Miss Sassy Pants. I keep thinking to myself, "And they let you get away with this attitude in the orphanage?" Well, it won't last long here. Kiss your attitude goodbye, Little Missy...

1 Samuel 1:27 "I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him."

1 comment:

heather said...

You go tough mama! Those stories are so funny. I often have to hide my smile when my kids do something or say something that is funny but also naughty!