Monday, September 29, 2008

The Letter "A"

This is the first recognizable picture from Daughter of Purpose. I suppose it looks like nothing to you, but can't you see that it is her first successful attempts at the letter "A" for her real name? She's also been identifying "her letter" in everything she sees. Below her letters are some members of her family. I think our family is so big she ran out of room, but hey--it's a start! Don't I look beautiful?

When we first began visiting Daughter of Purpose in the orphanage, we brought a coloring book and crayons to do during our visits. It seemed to us that she had not used a writing utensil before (or at least very little). She couldn't seem to decide which hand she wanted to use. She was ambidextrous to say the least and made nothing but scribbles. The concept of staying in between the lines was foreign to her. Now she colors all the time and has learned the fine motor control to stay in between the lines. She even has a dominant hand now. This is the first time I've seen something recognizable come out of her drawings. She has come a long way!

I have framed each one of my children's first "family pictures." This one is a keeper for sure!

1 Samuel 1:27 "I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

this is fantastic! Look again though, I see 7 members of your family, but I wasn't there so I don't know if the explanation was different. She is for sure a star!!

nates5bs said...

Yep, I did notice that after I posted this. Now that I think about it, she originally only had 4 of us in the picture, but then took it from me and added the others in.

Anonymous said...

"A" for Awesome!
Anne