Thursday, October 9, 2008

Sunday School

As we have gotten into our Fall schedule, Daughter of Purpose has adjusted right along with us. I wasn't really sure how she would do with Awana Cubbies so I purposed to stay with her until I felt she was ready to go it on her own. Also, a few weeks ago I tried seeing if she was ready to go to Sunday School by herself and it was a no go. So I thought for sure that I'd be sitting in Cubbies with her for awhile.

Well I don't know what came over her, but at Cubbies she now seems to be fine as long as she sees me check in on her and knows where I will be. I'm usually sitting and helping out the secretaries at a table in the room she's in so it's not like I am very far, but I guess it gives her the comfort she needs and she now looks forward to Cubbies each week. She's even learning her verses! Obviously she's not going to understand the verses right now, but I figured that since she's such a sponge right now--it was a great time to hide His word in her heart.

For the last few weeks, I've also been taking Daughter of Purpose into her Sunday School class and hanging out with her. She's got a great team of teachers in there so I wasn't surprised when we rode to church this last Sunday and she said, "Mommy, we going to Sunday School today?" I replied, "Yes."

This was her amazing response, "I go by myself today, Mama. I not cry. I be okay. I know you come back for me."

Did it really work out? Yep, she did it. She was gushing with excitement when I picked her up and she could not wait to show me the picture she made of Jesus. She's certainly not ready to be in there for two services yet, but this is one incredibly large step toward the end goal.

Daughter of Purpose also just started gymnastics at a local gym that specializes in integrating able-bodied children with disabled bodied children. She is the only special needs child in her class, but loving every minute of it! Next time I go, I will have to take some pictures. The kids and I started out taking Daughter of Purpose to class along with her Nana Red, but today she went happily off to gymnastics with Nana all by herself. I was so proud of her! That was our goal--for her to get the exercise of the gymnastics, but also to have a special day each week with her Nana Red.

There seems to be an overall theme going on here and I think it's "adjustment!" It feels so good to know that she has come to a place where she understands that we are her family and are here for good--we are coming back for her and that she belongs with us!

1 Samuel 1:27 "I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Umm...did I miss a post or something? What's Nana Red?

heather said...

Yayyyy! I've been thinking about gymnastics for Emilie. How often do you go?

nates5bs said...

Nana Red is Nate's mom. Nana White is my mom. It's all based on hair color.

Anonymous said...

It's funny, I was thinking about her today and Cubbies. I really enjoy watching her and her true enthusiasism (especially during music time). She has really impressed me with her adjustments and learning english. I can't believe how much she speaks and understands, it's truly amazing. Anyways, she is such a blessing to watch and it is nice to know that we have the same situation going on with Sammy. I am able to just peek in once in a while without tears and fears.
Anne

Unknown said...

I didn't realize I'd seen her on such an exciting day!

that's so cool that she was comfortable with going! praise God with how He's made her a sponge...