Friday, October 24, 2008

Oatmeal

We learned something new about Daughter of Purpose last night. At dinner, we had oatmeal. It was a breakfasty type of dinner. I thought I had noticed something at an earlier time about oatmeal and Daughter of Purpose, but last night she proved my observation.

As we sat down for dinner, I said to Nate, "Watch this. She doesn't like oatmeal and just by sight of it knows she doesn't like it. Watch this...she won't even try it." As if on cue, Daughter of Purpose turned to me and said, "I no want that." Nate and I shared a knowing glance.

Nate tried to convince her to eat it because Mommy made it and it was yummy and she replied, "I like it, but I don't want it." All throughout dinner we tried to get her to eat it and she would have none of it. What was even funnier was that she never would pitch a fit or anything, but she would conveniently avoid it. She was willing to eat her scrambled eggs and many, many bowls of applesauce, but wouldn't touch the oatmeal. I even made a bargain with her--more applesauce after she took a big bite of oatmeal. She humored me, but I'm pretty sure the look on her face was one of gagging it down!

We found this whole situation funny yet interesting since she won't openly say she's never touching that stuff again in her life, but we're pretty sure that's what is going through her mind. We're pretty positive that it is what she had to eat for breakfast every day of her life until we brought her home. We can't blame her.

1 Samuel 1:27 "I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him."

2 comments:

Allison Vasquez said...

My cousin is from an orpahanage in Russia and we were told that at the age of 4 (when they brought him home) he had never eaten meat and rarely eaten vegetables. Most of what they ate came in the form of "porridge", so it's not unlikely that Aeniah had a similar diet.

candice said...

I wouldn't want to eat it either after all that time! She is such a crack-up- I love her smile!

Just wanted you to know I posted about our picture session on my blog- they are all the same pictures that you've seen though. Have I told you I am really excited about this??!! :-)