Sunday, February 22, 2009

Another Good Sign

This past week, Nate and I had the opportunity to go out of town by ourselves. It was a welcomed break. It was great to be able to spend the time with just the two of us and not have an adoption hanging over our head and the stress of being in a foreign country.

It was also a good opportunity for us to see how Daughter of Purpose would do without us for a few days. I had a feeling she'd do okay, but as I began to write out information about her for my friend who would be caring for her--admittedly I got a bit nervous. I started to wonder if this was such a good idea, especially because she was getting sick as we were leaving town.

Before leaving, we had a lot of good talks with Daughter of Purpose to make sure she understood that she would be going with her big sister to my friend's house for a few days and that Mommy and Daddy would be back. She seemed to comprehend what we were doing and had only one request. She wanted to be able to call us or have us call her each day. No problem!

Well, she did have one other request...she wanted to go in my friend's pool while she stayed there. Ummm...how do you get a child from Murmansk, Russia to understand that it would be too cold? It's like the phrase, "too cold" is not in her scope of comprehension! I gave my friend permission to throw her into the pool so she'd understand what we kept telling her, but I think they got through the week without the physical demonstration. :)

Anyway, we are back from our trip and happy to report that Daughter of Purpose did an amazing job. My friend told us that she seemed to really understand what was going on and missed us in a healthy way. Yeah!

We are pleased with this for many reasons, but one of them being because we are currently praying about going on a short-term mission to Haiti with our church this summer. We have the opportunity to go and help finish up the construction and then outfitting the inside of an orphanage for use. Over the past few months, God has taught our family much about Haiti and given us a love for the country. God has given us a passion for orphans so we very much want to be a part of this project. At this point, we are taking one step at a time toward the trip and continue to pray that God will close the doors if this trip is not for us. Thus far, the doors are wide open. We ask you to pray with us that God would continue to guide us in what direction He wants us to go and that He would give us wisdom in all of the details that would need to go into something like this.

1 Samuel 1:27 "I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello! :)