Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Perspective

Almost 10 months ago we brought home a little girl with very short hair and what was there was sparse. The hair of Daughter of Purpose has been growing steadily, but today we were able to put it into its first pony tail! Yeah!

10 months of her being with us and so much to be thankful for. This past week, Nate and I had the opportunity to view a video of a 9-year-old little girl that needs a family. It was heartbreaking to watch it and realize that this little girl is functioning at the level of a 5/6 year old. I do not believe there is anything wrong with her except the fact that being in an institution has taken a toll on her. Absolutely heart breaking.

God used this video to put some perspective into my life. We adopted Daughter of Purpose to bless her by making her a part of our family. Instead, she has blessed us. We have been so fortunate through this process to get a gem of a child. She has attached and bonded with us and learned English better than we ever expected. She truly has become one with our family in such a short time. She has exceeded our expectations for her. All I can say is that God knows exactly what He's doing and knew what our family could handle. It strikes me often that God has known since the beginning of time that this child would be a part of our family and made her to be a perfect fit. She was not in our sights, but she was in His.

I read something lately that I've been meditating on and think it is so simple, but profound. I can't remember what book it was in (I've read quite a few lately) so I'm going to do my best to relay it to you. Daughter of Purpose is like Moses...God's purposes for her could not be accomplished in the arms of her birth mother. We know nothing about her birth mother and I think I'll always watch Daughter of Purpose and be curious about where certain characteristics came from, but I am eternally grateful for her birth mother. Without her, I wouldn't be so blessed. Daughter of Purpose has become so much a part of me--us, as a family, that I have caught myself thinking, "She does that like her Daddy" or sometimes I fill out medical information about her forgetting that she did not come from my genes.

It hasn't been perfect along the way, but I certainly have nothing to complain about. God is good.

1 Samuel 1:27 "I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

great comparison of Aeniah to Moses. wow.

these are adorable pictures...I should send the other ones I (she) took your way...

candice said...

LOVE her little ponytails!!!
She has come a long way- it's hard to believe a year ago we were staring at her pictures with the shaved head!

She is so fun to be around and her excitement and silliness is contagious! Praise God for His perfect plan to bring Daughter of Purpose into your family!

Trisha, Duane, and Family said...

AWE!!!! D of P is so very darling with her new pony tail. Kisses to her from us. I just love looking at your blog and seeing the marvelous changes which have occurred in her over the last ten months. We are pretty much amazed by every one of our kiddos whose beginning came through IA. Katie is so excited about Lexi coming home;-). Although, I am not looking forward to that dossier process...LOL. Sounds as though maybe you are considering an older child??? Love following your blog, too. Much love and many blessings...Trish