Thursday, March 12, 2009

Baffling the Doctors

Daughter of Purpose had her BIG consultation with all of the doctors, residents, physical therapists and people from the orthodic/prosthesis dept at Shr*ners. I'm sure there were more departments represented, but those were the ones I could put my finger on as we sat in the room.

I'm not really sure how to explain to you about today so I will just summarize it with what one of the doctors said to us as they examined her..."We're just trying to figure out how she is doing what she is doing. How is she even walking?" It took some restraint to not respond with, "Because God is in the business of doing the impossible--that's why."

Previous to this, I didn't really realize it, but I had become focused on what she cannot do, how to get it fixed and how to help her come to terms with that. In this light bulb moment, it dawned on me that my focus has been wrong. She is astounding the doctors with what she CAN do. I guess I never realized that her abilities are beyond their medical expectations and that is much to be thankful for. It never occurred to me that she could be in worse shape.

With that in mind and with much rejoicing for her amazing growth, the only thing the doctors could say was that she is doing great and to continue with what we're doing. They did change one of her braces, but beyond that they just want to see her every few months to keep an eye on her.

All of this makes me want to do some more research about Marion*Rudolph who had polio as a child but went on to become an Olympic runner. Who knows what God has in store for Daughter of Purpose...

1 Samuel 1:27 "I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him."

2 comments:

candice said...

God IS in the business of doing the impossible, my friend...

WOW- amazing that she has everyone stumped, and I'll bet she will continue to do so for quite some time :-) She touches every one she meets.
Praise God for your "lightbulb" moment and for all those things she CAN do- and do them well!!!

Tammy and Greg said...

That is such a powerful story (hers and yours is). As mommy's it is so easy with a child that has needs above the norm, to see what is lacking instead of all the progress. What a testimony she has of the mystery of how. Amen! Keep going D of P!