Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Language Acquisition

It has been almost a year that Daughter of Purpose has been with us. If you've been following her blog, you know that she picked up the English language a lot quicker than we expected. It was at about 6 months, she was pretty fluent.

Now we're seeing something interesting about her language. Based on the questions she inundates us with daily, we're starting to realize that when she appeared to be fluent, she really was just repeating phrases. She'll hear a phrase and repeat that one. Surprisingly she'd use the right phrases in the right circumstances. In retrospect it doesn't surprise me since I'd often hear one my other kids say something like, "My tummy hurts" and then within minutes her "tummy would hurt" also, but I just didn't realize until now that she's been repeating these phrases without ever really knowing what she was saying.

Nowadays she spends her time picking apart the English language. She's beginning to ask questions about what those "phrases" mean. For example she will randomly say, "What does 'died on the cross' mean?" or "What does 'eating' mean?"

Because her talking is constant, it can drive me crazy at times, but when I put it in perspective, I try to give it as much patience as possible. It's just like having a two-year-old that asks the "why" question all day long. It is just a phase and I know it will pass.

No one really told me about the part of adopting a child from another country, but in retrospect it makes sense. As Nathan and I attempt to continue our studies of the Russian language, it also gives me perspective into our language learning. We do the same thing. We learn phrases of Russian and then later we figure out what parts of that phrase mean and then move those parts of speech around and mix them with other words we've learned.

Ahh the things you learn from adopting...

1 Samuel 1:27 "I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him."

No comments: