Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Ramblings

Ya know, when we adopted Daughter of Purpose, people would tell me how quickly she would acquire English. I heard the figure of 6 months tossed around. So in my mind, I was expecting a relatively quiet child until about Christmas--maybe a few words here and there--and then she'd start spouting out full English as a Christmas present to us. Honestly, I'm being blown out of the water. I have a feeling that Russian will be long gone by Christmas...

Here are a few of ramblings lately and this is truly just a snippet:

After brushing her teeth this morning, she called out to me, "Mama, look at my teeth!"

As we drive along, usually listening to Newsboys or Superchick I hear her little voice from the backseat, "Music loud, please!" I'm pretty sure this is a far cry from the Russian children's music she heard in the orphanage!

She's already figured out how to tattle in English. I heard this conversation between her and her brother the other night:

Daughter of Purpose, "I tell Mama."
Brother: "No, I tell Mama."

And back and forth it went. How does she know this already?

I've even noticed that her receptive language is good enough already that she can perceive when we are joking with her or not. The other day she and I were discussing where everyone would be during quiet/nap time. I told her that she would be sleeping outside. She instantly looked at me with a grin and replied, "Noooo Mama. I not sleep outside. I sleep inside in my room!"

She will also now tease us. She will tell us something silly, but instantly say, "Nooooooo. Ne-yet whatever she had originally said (you fill in the blank)." I think that's pretty darn smart for having only arrived in the US 2 months ago!

Here is my new favorite, "That was fun!" or this one, "Wow, that's cool."

1 Samuel 1:27 "I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him."

No comments: