Thursday, December 6, 2007

Where It All Began...

So how did we get here? Well truly, our adoption journey began at least 8 years ago. My husband, Nathan, has had a desire to adopt a little girl from Russia since I can remember. The problem with that is that when he had this dream, I was popping out a baby a year--for four years straight. I was not closed to the idea. I just thought he was crazy! I always told him to keep praying for my heart to be softened to the idea.

Well, apparently his prayers worked because about 2 1/2 years ago, I began to understand the plight of the orphan and being a lover of children, I couldn't stand the thought of not doing anything about it. Now I don't think that adoption is for everyone, but everyone can do something for those that are called whether it be volunteering, praying or giving money. Everyone can play a part, but I believe God has in mind for our family to be one of those that gives an orphan a home. It just took me awhile to catch on.

I remember those tentative conversations with Nathan about adoption as my heart began to blossom with the idea. The moment is still clear to me when we attended our first "purely informational" meeting about adoption. Nathan was ready to sign on the dotted line, but I was not quite there yet. I wanted to ease into the idea, but on the way home from that meeting I had a conversation with God that I will never forget. It went something like this:

Me - "Okay God. I give up. I'm "in", but I'm just really scared to death because it costs so much money. That part makes me want to give up right now because we don't have anywhere near the amount of money that it requires to do this."
God - "I know, B (that's what He calls me :)), but I have a question for you."
Me - "What God?"
God - "If all the money was in the bank right now, would you do it?"
Me - "Well, of course God!! Who wouldn't?"

Silence

Me again - "What? (In a whining voice) Are you trying to make a point?"
God - "Don't I have all the money in the world?"

The light bulb goes on.

Me - "Oh!! I get it, God. You want me to basically take a leap of faith and leave the money up to you?"
God - "Yep. You got it."
Me - "Okay God. I got the point. I'll obey. Here we go..."

So that's how it all began for us 2 years ago. It has been a long 2 year process full of lots of waiting. I have a feeling that I'm not done learning how to wait since that is what a lot of adoption involves. Surely there's a lesson in all of this somewhere, right?

I won't bore you with the details of the last 2 years. Well, maybe another day, but for today this is enough. Right now it seems we're making up for all of that waiting because I feel like I'm wearing my running shoes now.

II Corinthians 5:7 "For we walk by faith, not by sight."

No comments: